Scalos has so many features over and above the standard Workbench setup. You'll find a list of some of them further down this page, plus some screenshots of Scalos in action.
If you need to contact us, please use this e-mail address: Scalos@VFEmail.net.
If you have an idea for Scalos, please use the form here.
If you've found a bug in Scalos, please use the form located here.
These are the features that already exist in Scalos:
- 100% Workbench replacement - All functions work like the original Workbench ones
- Undo and Redo for most window and icon operation
- 64bit arithmetic - Correctly recognises harddisks over 4GB
- Fully multitasking - Every window has its own task. While loading icons, any window function (e.g. Drag&Drop) is available
- Icon imagetypes - All types are supported such as backfill or complement. Configurable surrounding iconborder
- Icon datatype system - NewIcon datatype included. Icon support also visually highlights files which are soft-links in the file system.
- Icon dragging is more stable - And far less flickery on graphics cards. Whilst dragging, icons are displayed with text and they become transparent over anything where they can be dropped! MUI-alike transparency on low colour screens. Real transparency if running at 15-bit or greater.
- Cybergraphics and Picasso96 24bit color support
- Window patterns - Unlimited and easily configurable via tooltypes
- Optimised backgroundpatterns routine - Patterns can be tiled, centred or even scaled to fit into the windows. With the use of render.library, you get full control over the dithering and pen usage of your patterns
- Live updating window scrolling - Supports middle mouse button panning too!
- Drawer windows can be iconified
- Menu preferences - You can enjoy fully configurable menus (includes ToolsDaemon and Parm import), including support for context-sensitive Popup menus
- Application Interface (API) - Anything is possible from outside the program itself
- Custom preference programs - For both palette and patterns. A pen-locker is not required any more
- Nearly all Workbench preferences are used
- Installation is very easy
- Supports PNG icons with alpha channel and real transparency
- Displays OS3.5 GlowIcons even on OS3.1 machines
- Scalable icons
- Thumbnail preview icons for images - Thumbnails can be permanently saved in icons
- Completely confgurable, filetype-specific user-definable popup menus and tooltips
- Plugin system to exchange or add features - It enhances the Workbench and makes it more configurable
- Filetype plugins to display filetype-specific information. - Currently, EXIF information viewer for JPEG images is included.
- Iconborders - Nice looking, Icontext variations (normal, shadowed, outlined)
- Screentitle text - Shows what you want, how you want
- Plugin included for 100% support of OS3.9 Workbench features
- Plugin included for AREXX API compatible to OS3.9 Workbench
- Online update with updater.module
And much, much more...
We want to add the following features:
- Add a diskcopy.module, format.module and reboot.module
- Replace the other modules with newer ones featuring lots of nice little niggly fixes and animated eye candy where possible :o)
- Add some sort of configurable sounds for certain events
- Make the installer more intelligent
- Add themes support (if not in V1.x this WILL be in V2.x)
- More to be added... We have millions of cool things to be implemented into V2.x, most of which are not impossible either!
The majority of the above will be user-definable. That is, for example, you'll be able to turn off eye-candy through use of the preferences programs, if your system isn't
powerful enough. We want to make Scalos, the most configurable, stable desktop replacement there is!
Below are some screenshots of Scalos and various plugins / modules in action. Cool huh? Some of them are of new modules/plugins etc. You can get them from the Downloads page.
A transparent drawer with both image and video preview thumbnails.
This is a new delete module by Chris Page. It's available from the Downloads page.
The new Scalos Execute Command module.
The new Scalos Icon information module running on MorphOS 2.2.
A module that allows you to open a drawer by typing in its path. Neat.
Icons page in Scalos main preferences. Total control over most of Scalos advanced features!
A drawer in text mode. Useful information at your fingertips!
Some cool icons, and window gadgets provided by VisualPrefs.
The screenshots above show both Birdie and VisualPrefs in action. If you want to find out more about these two programs, please see the Hints & Tips page.